Tuesday 7 September 2010

Fabric postcard

I have been on a couple of Angie Hughes courses at Ledbury Artspace recently. The first course was all about working with velvet, transfer foils, organza and stitch. I have a half finished piece from that course, but as I have very little experience of free motion embroidery I wanted to get more before I try and finish it off.

So, I thought I'd make a fabric postcard as a practice piece.

I took some red cotton velvet and masked out some rectangles then ironed bondaweb all over it. I covered it with organza and stitched around the rectangles, then used vermicelli stitch to cover the area around the rectangles, using a variegated thread. I hand sewed little flower sequins and beads into the rectangles. Finally, I backed the piece with pelmet vilene and finished the edges with a zig zag stitch. Frankly, I was surprised at how well it went, because I still don't feel competent with machine embroidery!

4 comments:

  1. That looks gorgeous! I'm very jealous of you at an Angie Hughes class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Adrienne, fab colour, and there's nothing wrong with your machine embroidery. Have made a start on mine from the course, but machine playing up big time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Practice piece?????!!!!!
    I don't think so. Your squiggly wiggly embroudery is super.

    ReplyDelete

Guestbook

Copyright

Please note that I assert myself as the creator of all art on this site (unless I credit another artist) and retain copyright of all artwork posted on this site