Saturday 25 April 2009

Canvas for Fiona

I made a canvas for Fiona's birthday. I found a square canvas with sloping sides, and used a small palette knife to apply regular gel medium all over to add texture. I think this is the original purpose gel medium was designed for! I also used the gel to adhere and embed the main focal point of the canvas - a paper casting of a rubber stamp.

Once the gel had dried, I began adding very thin layers of fluid acrylic paint in Paynes Grey, and Turquois (pthalo) plus a little Cobalt Turquoise (that was a mistake, it's not transparent enough!). I built up and added the paint layers, then added some violet around the bottom of the sides.


I added some gold oil pastel to the high points of the texture, then added 2 more layers of paint. The gold didn't show through enough, so I touched the high points with Treasure Gold to highlight them. It was difficult to get a good image of this canvas. The image above was scanned and shows the detail well, the image below is a photograph which shows the colour much more accurately but doesn't show the detail so well!


Anyway, Happy Birthday Fiona!

4 comments:

  1. Very fun birthday gift. Wow - what a difference in color between scanning and photo. Goes to show how hard it is to photograph art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great piece! Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you made your canvas. The blue may be dark but looks great.

    Katina
    dremel group

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it is wonderful in real life too! Thank you so much Adrienne. Wonderful textures.

    ReplyDelete

Guestbook

Copyright

Please note that I assert myself as the creator of all art on this site (unless I credit another artist) and retain copyright of all artwork posted on this site